In the Cilybebyll area, Cilybebyll Community Council is the closest tier of local government to the people, supporting the services and facilities provided by Neath Port Talbot County Borough Council. The Council was originally established as Cilybebyll Parish Council in 1894, and became Cilybebyll Community Council in April 1974.
The Council is responsible for a range of facilities and services. These include:
- Brynmorgug Playground, Alltwen
- Gwynfryn Park, Alltwen
- Harry’s Park – managed in conjunction with Harry’s Fund
- Rhos Park Playground, Playing Field and Cilybebyll Community Garden
- Alltwen Community Centre – Caretaker – Spencer Gardiner on 07855 572641
- Rhos Community Centre – Caretaker – Linda Reynolds on 07546 520696
The following activities currently take place regularly at the Community Centres, and contact details are available through the Council:
Alltwen Community Centre
- Alltwen Heels WI – first Friday of month
- Alltwen Parent and Toddler Playgroup – Thursday mornings
- Ballroom Dancing – Friday evenings
- Birthday Parties
- Cam Carlam Folk Dancing – Sunday evenings
- Circus Skills – Thursday evenings
- Golden Girls Keep Fit – Monday evenings
- Over 60s Club – Wednesday afternoons
- South West Wales Woodturners – Monday evenings
- Stained Glass Class – Wednesday mornings
Rhos Community Centre
- Baby Sensory Classes – Monday mornings and afternoons
- Birthday Parties
- Dance Class – Wednesdays late afternoon
- Dog Class – Friday evenings
- Football Mini Dribblers Club – Saturday mornings
- Keep Fit – Late Sunday afternoon
- Kihon Karate – Thursday evenings
- Labour Party Meetings – 2nd Wednesday evening of the month
- Let’s Get Messy Youth Club
- Perfect Pets Dog Training – Wednesday evenings and Thursday mornings
- Short Mat Bowls – Monday and Tuesday evenings
- Slimming World – Tuesday mornings
- Spirit Lights Meditation Class
Both centres are available for hire by local groups and others. Enquiries regarding bookings can be made by contacting the caretakers.
Enquiries regarding use of the Rhos Park Playing Field should be directed to the Clerk to the Council, and regarding the Cilybebyll Community Garden through their website
The Council represents the local community on a wide range of matters, liaising with and making representations to Neath Port Talbot County Borough Council, the Welsh Government, South Wales Police and many other organisations on a regular basis. It has a statutory right to be consulted on some matters, notably planning applications, highway and other environmental issues. The Council also supports other local organisations by providing small grants, and by offering assistance in relation to their activities, where possible. It assists with the maintenance of public rights of way, and a Footpaths Map can be viewed in the Library section of this website.
Five part time members of staff are employed to ensure that all of these facilities, activities and responsibilities are properly discharged on behalf of the community.
The Council’s activities are funded by a precept levied on all local households and collected as part of the Council Tax by Neath Port Talbot County Borough Council. For 2017/18, the precept is £90,000 which is equivalent to £49 per year for each Band D property in Cilybebyll. All of the Council’s activities and expenditure are monitored annually by independent auditors appointed by the Auditor General for Wales.